Soledad O'Brien and Brad Raymond's Starfish Foundation, ECMC Group and St. Catherine University to host inspiring college preparatory event for local high school and college-age young women
More than 200 girls expected at daylong October 29 PowHERful™ Summit
October 27, 2016 — Helping low-income women get to and through college is a passion for Soledad O'Brien and her Starfish Foundation. The nationally known television journalist is hosting a daylong event with local organizations to inspire more than 200 area girls to reach their academic and professional goals.
The daylong event—PowHERful™—to be held October 29, from 8 a.m.–5 p.m., in St. Paul, features several local experts discussing everything from finances and financial aid, to health and wellness, to presenting yourself in a professional manner.
"Through our partnership with the Starfish Foundation, we have the ability to provide assistance to the next generation of female leaders," said Jan Hines, president and CEO of ECMC. "Over the years, we have provided internships, financial aid training, and financial support, and now we are thrilled to participate in this inspirational event."
The St. Paul summit is sponsored by Minneapolis-based ECMC, which provides financial literacy services to empower students to make informed choices about their futures—and hosted at St. Catherine University.
Twin Cities' Speakers Include:
- Brittany Lynch, an artist, activist, DJ and entrepreneur
- Jennifer Tavernier, a personal trainer and American Ninja Warrior athlete
- Jan Hines, President and CEO of ECMC
- ReBecca Roloff, President of St. Catherine University
- Lisa Grimm, Director of Social Media for Whole Foods
- Karen Jung, President of Nextech
- Minda Suchan Ph.D., Director, ISR/Integrated Processing Systems & Analytics Space & Intelligence Systems for Harris Corporation
- Judge Anne McKeig, Associate Justice of the Minnesota Supreme Court
- St. Catherine faculty from the sciences, apparel design and health professions
About Starfish Foundation
The Starfish Foundation was founded by Emmy Award-winning Soledad O'Brien, and Brad Raymond as a 501(c)3 in 2011. The mission of the Starfish Foundation is to get young women to, and through, college. The organization provides financial assistance, mentorship, and wraparound support to help their scholars achieve their highest potentials. Currently, Starfish serves 25 scholars in their educational pursuits, and reaches a broader audience through its national PowHERful™ Summit, a free daylong conference for high school- and college-aged young women. Starfishscholars.org